Auditions are conducted in groups, doing a “cold” read from excerpts of the script. You do NOT need to make a specific individual appointment, but you do need to show up ON TIME.
It is not a requirement, but you may find it useful to familiarise yourself with the book, or with any other works from Terry Pratchett. It will help you get a feel for the show.
If, after the group reading you would like the Director to see an individual monologue from you, please let us know when you come in to auditions. Monologues should be no longer than 1min.
WHEN: Sunday July 1st at 3pm.
WHERE: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide
REHEARSALS: A ten week rehearsal period starting on Sunday 15th July. We rehearse Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Sundays either afternoon or evenings (negotiable with cast)
- ERIC – A middle class, spoilt brat, child prodigy who thinks he can summon demons and get anything he wants.
- RINCEWIND – Hapless “loser” wizard – anti-hero. Spends his life running away.
- ERIC’S MOTHER – voiceover
- STUFFED PARROT WITH ATTITUDE – probably represented by a stuffed parrot on Rincewind’s shoulder with a real actor behind it.
- ASTFGL – The Devil – Lord of Hell with a love of “order” and stationery – think extreme public servant
- FOOTNOTE – Narrator
- VOICE (at end of speaking tube – minor clerk)
- QUEZOVERCOATL – Small God – underling of Astfgl
- TEZUMEN GUARDS & PEOPLE
- PONCE DE QUIRM – prisoner, and scientist looking for the fountain of youth
- TSORTIAN SERGEANT (for Tsortians read “Trojans”)
- TSORTIAN SOLDIER
- TSORTIAN GUARD
- TSORTIAN CAPTAIN
- EPHEBIAN CENTURION (for Ephebians read “Greeks”)
- EPHEBIAN CAPTAIN – LAVAEOLUS – read Odysseus
- CHILD’S VOICE – offstage
- ELENOR – read “Queen Helen of Troy” supposedly a fair maiden – “the face that launched a thousand ships” in legend, but really a very practical Greek mother
- CREATOR – a small rat-faced man, self effacing, common person
- ERGLEFLOGGAH – Spawn of the pit and guardian of the dread portal to hell (a demon writ politically correct)
- DEMON GUIDE – public servant underling
- LORD VASSENGO – Sub Lord of Hell – plotting public servant
- MAGIC MIRROR – classic
- DUKE DRAZOMETH – plotter with Vassengo
- EARL BEEZLEMOTH – plotter with Vassengo
PLEASE REGISTER YOUR ATTENDANCE AT THE AUDITION VIA EMAIL: email@example.com
ABOUT THE SHOW:
Eric has been described as “the Discworld’s only demonology hacker”, but all he really wants is three wishes. That sounds simple enough, right?
No, this is not your favourite fairytale from your childhood. Far from it. Well, maybe not that far……..just as far as the Discworld where demons, wizards, hell-hounds, hostile travel accessories, and more demons, thinly disguised as public servants with a penchant for excessive amounts of stationary and memos, are real. Well…real-ish.
But to get back to Eric, the clever young man with a Faust-like spirit of insatiable scientific inquiry. It turns out that he is not quite as clever a hacker as he thinks he is. Instead of calling up a malleable, complaisant, but experienced demon to grant his wishes, his magic circle has managed to retrieve the most incompetent wizard in the universe …Rincewind
What follows is an hilarious race through space and time. Not to mention, the torture chambers of hell. (which I think I just did – oops!)